Observatory 2.0: Image thumbnails apply stretch when not needed

Started by avalondria2050, September 05, 2023, 01:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avalondria2050

Hi.

After upgrading to Observatory 2.0, I have a problem: the images I save in the library are already stretched in PixInsight and in the previous Observatory version I was able to show the image as it came from PI ( after adjusting one by one the histogram ). But in the new version, the new Canvas Display seems to apply the "Default" option not only to the current opened image ( there I can select "None" ) but also to the thumbnails ( there I can't find a way to disable the "Default" option ). So all the images thumbnails in my Image Library now appears overexposed. Any chance that you implement an option to avoid the "Default" stretching in the Image Library window, so the thumbnails show the correct stretch? ( or a Setting to disable the default stretching both for the thumbnails and the opened image ).

Thank you

Sander Berents

Good point! Right now the thumbnails always are displayed with the default STF, and you can only change the STF for the canvas. The easiest would be to add an option for this in the preferences. I'll look into this for the next update.

Sander Berents
Code Obsession, LLC
https://codeobsession.com

avalondria2050

Hi.

Thank you for your fast answer. That would be great, because right now the images look awful in the library panel. A way to enable/dissable the default STF for both the thumbnails and the canvas view and even an option to keep the STF you want to use in a single image ( as in the previous version it was possible to do it with the histogram ). Will wait for the coming update.

Best Regards

avalondria2050

Hi, Sander.

Thank you for the fast addition of the None Setting for the Thumbnails/ Image preview. Now it works as expected. It would be great if the .XISF preview in the Finder could do something similar to have the right preview.

Thanks again for your support.

Sander Berents

Good point again. The Quick Look extension for previews and thumbnails will not see this setting, but I could add an option for this in the Quick Look preview action menu to have at least the preview display in the way you prefer. Finder caches the thumbnails, so having that option affect thumbnails might not give the desired results.
Sander Berents
Code Obsession, LLC

Sander Berents

Observatory 2.0.2 adds the STF option to its Quick Look preview extension action menu. It is used by both the preview and thumbnails, but Quick Look thumbnails are cached by Finder, so changing it may not have any effect until you clear the Quick Look cache and relaunch Finder. I recommend to only use it to temporary change how the Quick Look preview is displayed, and then change it back to the default. It affects how XISF, FITS and SBIG images are displayed in Finder and Open/Save sheets (née dialogs, since Big Sur  :'().

Hint: if you use the system Open/Save sheet in PixInsight, not only will it show you the thumbnails, but if you press the spacebar it will also show you the preview (with metadata and scale/orientation/grid overlays!). Also, its search field uses Spotlight, and because of Observatory's Spotlight plugin you can do metadata searches there.
Sander Berents
Code Obsession, LLC

avalondria2050

Hi, Sanders. Yes, I have seen all the new options and they seem to work as expected. After Sonoma was released, I have made a fresh install, so don't have any previous cache. The thumbnails are rendered all the time without the Default STF when I select None. It keeps this option as the default after rebooting the computer.

Thank you for adding this new and needed feature.

Best